“Let’s Move in Schools-Kyrene” is an initiative that will lead our schools and community toward choosing a more physically active life which will lead to greater success and improved health now and in the future. It is a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program that incorporates movement throughout a student’s day.
Let’s Move in School is structured around a quality physical education program. Kyrene’s quality Physical Education program includes:
- A nationally recognized curriculum- Kyrene Elementary Physical Education employs The Dynamic Physical Education for Elementary School Children curriculum; Middle School is currently restructuring curriculum to meet the new National Standards for Physical Education.
- Is taught by state certified teachers.
- Teaches health related fitness concepts.
- Includes innovative programs like First Tee Golf, Lacrosse, Physical Best, and Project Adventure.
- Uses technology during lessons such as pedometers, heart monitors, and computers.
- Meets the State Standards.
Currently, Kyrene elementary student attend Physical Education class once a week for 45 minutes. Middle School students enrolled in physical education rotate on an A/B schedule.
Kyrene has developed a strategic plan to implement a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program for Kyrene students. Goals have been set in the areas of:
- Physical Education
- Physical Activity Before and After School
- Physical Activity During School
- Staff Involvement
- Family and Community Involvement
This site is designed to support students, parents, teachers and administrators to increase physical activity and learn about healthy eating. Each month will highlight a Let’s Move in Schools-Kyrene theme.
August: Let’s Build a Team!
September: Let’s Get F.I.T.T.
October: Let’s Get Healthy!
November: Let’s Run!
December: Let’s Give Ourselves the Gift of Health!
January: Let’s Set Some Health Goals!
February: Let’s Build a Healthy Heart!
March: Let’s Eat Wise and Exercise…Get Balanced!
April: Let’s Spring into Fitness!
May: Let’s Move TO School, IN School, and AFTER School
June & July: Let’s be Safe!
Information and links will be provided under each of the menu items provided.