Kyrene Athletic Program
Where Champions are Made!
Athletics Update (3/26/21)
We are very excited to announce that competitions will resume March 24. After careful review of the updated guidance from the Maricopa Department of Public Health, we feel confident in offering cross country, softball, boys’ basketball and cheer with the specific modifications outlined on our Safe Return to Athletics page.
Schedules are posted on the District and School Site Athletics web pages. Cross Country will finish out their season with two regular meets and the Conference Meet on April 8 at Kyrene del Pueblo Middle School. The other sports will end around the middle of April.
Payments have already been collected for cross country. Dues for the other sports have been modified to half of a season, so rates will be half the cost (boys basketball-$75, softball-$75 and cheer $45). All athletes are required to pay before participating in competition. If you still need to make your payment, please follow this link and login to your account to complete payment.
Please contact your school site Athletics Department for specific practices, schedules and payment information.
Per our safety guidelines all spectators are required to wear a mask and to follow our 6-foot social distance requirements for all indoor and outdoor events. For indoor events only (Boys Basketball and Cheer) every athlete will be given 4 spectator passes as an entry to attend a game. The spectator will need this pass to enter the gym.
For additional information please contact your school site Athletics Department. We hope we can expand the number of spectators for future indoor events if community spread continues to decrease.
We will continue to monitor our mitigation strategies and offer our athletics programs in accordance with our Safe Return to Athletics Plan. Our safety of staff, student athletes and community are our highest priority.
Kyrene offers both “cut” and “non-cut” sports for 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade students. Cut sports include soccer, basketball, volleyball, cheer, softball, and baseball. The non-cut athletic opportunities include cross country, wrestling, and track and field. Each year, over 3,000 middle school students from the Tempe, Chandler, and Phoenix area participate in the Kyrene Athletic Program. This program provides a positive, high-quality sports program that emphasizes participation, teamwork, skill development, and sportsmanship.
Goals and objectives for every participant:
- Physical skills necessary in the sport or activity
- An awareness of progressive skill requirements needed to continue in the growth of a specific sport or activity
- Respect for the efforts, abilities, and rights of all others
- The awareness of leadership responsibilities in school, community, and life contacts, as well as on the field
- Active participation by all members of the team
- All students must have a current sports physical on file in order to try out;
- Payments must be made before the first practice for cut-sports and by the second practice for non-cut sports.
- I understand that there will be NO refunds once a fee is paid if paid by the tax credit option.
- Athletic fees designated as auxiliary may be refundable ONLY for eligible nonparticipation reasons, such as season cancellation prior to the start date or minimum enrollments not met for teams.
- A transaction fee will be applied when an auxiliary option is chosen.
- Financial Assistance is not available at this time, please inform your school's student services secretary if you are in need of additional assistance at this time.
Keep in touch with Athletics!Sign up for the Remind messaging service to get up to date announcements from Kyrene Athletics sent directly to your mobile device! You’ll get reminders about registration deadlines, game cancellations, rain delays, and special Kyrene Athletics events. Please click one of the links below for the sport you wish to receive updates and notifications on throughout the season.
Girls Basketball: https://www.remind.com/join/79kaa88
Track and Field: https://www.remind.com/join/b38g294
Try-Outs and Registration
You can access try-out and online registration information from your computer, tablet, or mobile device. To register for a sport please visit https://az-kyrene.intouchreceipting.com/ .
These are the sports that will be available at this time:
- Track and Field (non-cut sport)
- Girls Basketball (cut sport)
- Baseball (cut sport)
For additional information regarding our registration process please click the links below.
For information regarding tryouts and practices, contact your school site Athletic Department (see contact information below).
- Sports Physical Form
- Brain Injury/Concussion Form (mild traumatic) (see concussion fact sheet below)
- COVID Sports Parent-Guardian Waiver
- Kyrene Sportsmanship Agreement
- Participation Payment Agreement
- Kyrene Family Handbook
- Uniform Replacement Agreement
- Financial Assistance Application
Additional Athletic Registration Forms:
- Parent & Athlete Concussion Information Sheet
- AIA Heat Acclimatization & Exertional Heat Illness Management Policy
- Hot Weather, Heat Stress & School Safety
- Hazing Policy
- Opioid Handout
- Cardiac Arrest Handout