Kyrene Athletic ProgramWhere champions are made!Kyrene offers both “cut” and “non-cut” sports for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. Cut sports include: soccer, basketball, volleyball, cheer, softball, and baseball. The non-cut athletic opportunities include cross country, wrestling, and track and field. Each year, over 3,000 middle school students from the Tempe, Chandler, and Phoenix area participate in the Kyrene Athletic Program. This Program provides a positive, high quality sports program that emphasizes participation, teamwork, skill development, and sportsmanship.Goals and objectives for every participant:
- Physical skills necessary in the sport or activity
- An awareness of progressive skill requirements needed to continue in the growth of a specific sport or activity
- Respect for the efforts, abilities, and rights of all others
- The awareness of leadership responsibilities in school, community, and life contacts, as well as on the field
- Active participation by all members of the team
- All students must have a current sports physical on file in order to try out;
- Payments must be made before the first practice for cut-sports and by the second practice for non-cut sports;
- Financial Assistance is available, please inform your school's student services secretary if you will be submitting an application before you try-out for a cut-sport or attend the first practice for a non-cut sport. You can find the Financial Aid application here.
Keep in touch with Athletics!
Sign up for the Remind messaging service to get up to date announcements from Kyrene Athletics sent directly to your mobile device! You’ll get reminders about registration deadlines, game cancellations, rain delays and special Kyrene Athletics events. To sign up to go www.remind.com or download the Remind app on your mobile device and join class code @7gbe376 (Kyrene Athletic Program).
You can access try-out and registration information from your computer or tablet using the link www.kyrene.org/athleticregistration. Plesae note that registration currently is not available via mobile devices.
For information regarding tryouts and practices, contact your Athletic Secretary (see contact information below).Participation Forms/Agreements:Brain Injury/Concussion Form (mild traumatic) (see concussion fact sheet below)Health & Safety Information:District Athletic Director: Debbie WilkinsonAthletic Program School Contacts:
Location Athletic Director Phone (480) Athletic Secretary Akimel A-al Dana Westermann 541-5805 Judy Cotharin Altadeña Garth Cupp 541-6004 Annie Saccoman Aprende Carl Nasuta 541-6205 Marcie Miller Centennial Tim O'Donnell 541-6404 Deb Northrup Kyrene Sarah Sottile 541-6604 Pam Adam Pueblo Ashley Schutkowski 541-6804 Leanne KrigbaumThe Kyrene Athletic Coordinating Committee governs the program. The members will adhere to the guidelines and/or the rules of the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA). The Committee sets the guidelines and includes six athletic directors and six athletic secretaries, along with District staff. All athletic programs are tax credit eligible.