Akimel A-al Middle School Athletics
As per our Safe Return to Athletics Plan, practices can continue through Tuesday, November 24. The cross country meet for Tuesday, November 24 will be cancelled.
We will not have practice once we transition into contingency on November 30. Coaches may provide individual workouts for athletes to practice skills and conditioning at home until practices may resume. We will plan to resume activities when we return to in-person learning at school in alignment with the metrics and our Safe Return to Athletics Plan.
Although we always review AIA Guidelines, our timelines and plan may not fully coincide with theirs. When it is safe to play games and have competitions within Kyrene, we will provide a schedule for each sport.
Thank you for your flexibility and support for our Athletics program.
***Practice and game schedules vary per school. In the event, that a team or school is impacted by
COVID-19, a game or meet may need to change locations or be cancelled and is not likely to be
able to be rescheduled. Schedules and the format of practices or games may need to be
adjusted mid-season if there is a shift in the level of community spread. Please be mindful of
these possibilities upon registration, we will not be able to issue refunds for athletics
participation fees as they are most commonly paid through non-refundable tax credits. ***
Kyrene offers both "cut" and "non-cut" sports for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
Cut sports include: soccer, basketball, volleyball, cheer, softball and baseball.
Non-cut athletic opportunities include: cross country, wrestling, and track and field.
The goals for every participant are:
- Physical Skills necessary in the sport or activity
- An awareness of progressive skill requirements needed to continue in the growth of a specific sport or activity
- Respect for the efforts, abilities, and rights or others
- The awareness of leadership responsibilities in school, community, and life contacts, as well as on the field
- Active participation by all members of the team
**Athletic Registration & Tryout Information**
You can access try-out and online registration information from your computer, tablet, or mobile device.
REGISTER NOW! To register online CLICK HERE.
A completed online registration must be done for student participation.
All participants are required to complete an online registration and upload a current sports physical.
- Sports Physical Form (must be on file and less than one year old)
- Students must have health insurance coverage in order to try-out and participate in a school sport
If your student will be participating in a non-cut sport, payment is due at the time of registration. If your student is trying out for a cut sport, payment will be due once you have been notified your student made the team. You will need to pay the participation fee by the first day of practice. 1. Payment will be made for non-cut sports at the time of registration.
- Payment for cut sports will be made online once you have been notified your student made the team.
- You can call your payment in to the district office. Please call the District Office at 480-541- 1500.
- You can go to the Kyrene School District Customer Service Center at 8700 South Kyrene Rd, Tempe. (located at the NW corner of Kyrene & Warner Rds.) ** Please review KAP Middle School Athletics Participation Policies & Guidelines click here. If you have any questions please call our Student Services/Athletic Secretary, Judy Cotharin, at 480-541-5805.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE If you wish to apply for financial assistance, you will need to submit a Financial Assistance application PRIOR to the start date of tryouts. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Due to financial constraints, we are unable to provide 100% assistance. Click HERE for a copy of the Financial Assistance application form. Financial Assistance forms must be turned into the Kyrene District Office.
- Boys Soccer CANCELED
- Volleyball CANCELED
- Cheer-- CANCELED
- Cross Country
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Soccer--- CANCELED
- Girls Softball
- Girls Basketball
- Track & Field
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
ATHLETIC DIRECTOR: Dana Westermann 480-541-5805 firstname.lastname@example.org
ATHLETIC SECRETARY: Judy Cotharin 480-541-5805 JCotharin@kyrene.org