Dana Westermann, Assistant Principal
Hello Akimel A-al families!
I am excited about beginning my fifth year at Akimel A-al's! This year I have the job of Assistant Principal. Actually, I couldn't be happier about my role at AMS!
I am originally from St. Louis, Missouri. I earned a BS in Education at William Jewell College in Liberty, MO, a MaED in Curriculum and Technology, as well as a MaEd in Leadership and Administration at the University of Phoenix. A fun fact about me is that I married my high school sweetheart, David. We’ve been together for a LONG time! We have two boys: Beck and Max and a fluffy Labradoodle named Currie.
Here is a rundown of my teaching/administrative history:
- 6 years at Bunker Hill Elementary in Houston, Texas; I taught grades 2 and 5.
- 2 years at Cairo American College in Cairo, Egypt; I taught 8th grade American History/ and Language Arts
- 6 years at Aprende Middle School; I primarily taught 8th grade Algebra/Pre-Algebra, but also was a Math Intervention Teacher and 7th grade Math teacher for one year too!
- I stepped in for 6 months at Lomas as a Title I teacher.
- 4 years at Sierra as Assistant Principal.
- 2 years at Estrella, I served as the Assistant Principal, alternating with Sierra.
- 2 years at Lagos Elementary where I served as the Assistant Principal.
Several of the things that I am proud of include racing in 6 marathons,5 triathlons and many other various races. I completed Arizona Ironman 70.3 last year, too. My husband and I decided we wanted to do something together that was epic! I think this fit the bill!
One of my favorite things is working with the staff at Akimel A-al and getting to know the amazing students. I honestly think that I have the greatest job of all!