Tips for Saving EnergyHere are suggestions for saving energy at your school or office:
For more information on ENERGY STAR visit www.energystar.gov
- Ensure that all incandescent light bulbs are replaced with CFL bulbs.
- These use 75% less energy and operate at lower temperatures to help save cooling costs.
- Assign student conservation monitors to turn off lights and make sure doors and windows are fully closed when air conditioning is running.
- Close blinds and shades whenever possible during cooling season. This helps keep the heat out and the cool in.
- Turn off computer monitors – screen savers do not save energy, shutting of the monitor is the only way to save energy.
- Unplug all devices that produce “phantom loads”. Battery charges, microwaves, and electronic devices such as DVD players and VCR’s use power even when turned off. Unplug them when ever possible.
- Empty and unplug refrigerators when not in use for extended periods.
- If a coffee maker is used, empty it into a thermos storage jug and unplug the coffee maker. Do not use the warmer feature on the coffee maker.
Last Modified on July 22, 2021