Kyrene Human Growth and Development Lessons
Kyrene School District offers elective Human Growth and Development and HIV/AIDS lessons to students in grades 5 through 8 in accordance with the requirements of Arizona law and Kyrene School District policy.
- Parents must provide written consent for their child to participate in the lessons. Students who do not participate in the lessons are provided alternate assignments.
- Each school provides information to their families about the specific dates for Human Growth and Development instruction and provides opportunities for review of materials for at least two weeks before any instruction is offered.
The lessons were developed or selected by a committee that consisted of teachers, administrators, parents, and health care professionals. Prior to adoption, the lessons were available for a sixty-day public review. The lessons were approved by the Kyrene Governing Board in March 2006 and April 2010.
There are between 4 and 5 scripted lessons per grade level. The lessons:
- Are taught to boys and girls in separate groups.
- Are ungraded and do not require any homework.
- Do not include any test, psychological inventories, surveys, or examinations containing any questions about personal beliefs or practices in sex, family life, morality, values, or religion on the part of students or their parents.
- Emphasize the power of individuals to control their own personal behavior.
- Include information about how to say “no” to unwanted sexual advances and to resist negative peer pressure.
- Include instruction on the laws relating to sexual conduct with a minor in grades 7 and 8.
- Stress abstinence from sexual intercourse until a person is a mature adult and possible emotional consequences of preadolescent and adolescent intercourse and pregnancy.
- Provide medically factual information about sexually transmitted diseases and their consequences both personal as well as public health concerns.
The link provided for each grade level contains a letter about the curriculum, a detailed outline of the content of the lessons, and permission slip. The templates are used for notification of parents and written consent prior to instruction.