7th Grade Language and Literature Syllabus
MYP Syllabus ( draft )
Course: 7th Grade Language and Literature
MYP Level: Year 2
Teacher: Jose Coca
Teacher Contact: Phone: 480.541.6753 Email: email@example.com
- Course Description:
myPerspectives is an English language arts curriculum that values the perspective of the learner, collectively and individually, and provides next-gen learning experiences that promote higher achievement and develop the competencies needed for college and career readiness. Interactive learning blends print and technology in a student-centered, teacher-inspired classroom. This dynamic Pearson program creates an interactive, engaging, and relevant learning environment through readings, meaningful activities, and purposeful performance tasks. myPerspectives encourages social collaboration as well as student ownership of learning through goal setting, choice, and reflection.
- IB Aims and Objectives:
The objectives of the teaching and learning of MYP Language and Literature are:
C: Producing Text
D: Using Language
As a part of the Middle Years Program (MYP), of the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, the aim of the teaching of language and literature are to encourage and enable the student to:
- Identify and explain the content, context, language, structure, technique and style of text(s) and the relationship among texts
- Identify and explain the effects of the creator’s choices on an audience
- Justify opinions and ideas, using examples, explanations and terminology
- Interpret similarities and differences in features within and between genres and texts
- Employ organizational structures that serve the context and intention
- Organize opinions and ideas in a coherent and logical manner
- Use referencing and formatting tools to create a presentation style suitable to the context and intentions
- Produce texts that demonstrate thought, imagination and sensitivity while exploring and considering new perspectives and ideas arising from personal engagement with the creative process
- Make stylistic choices in terms of linguistic literary and visual devices, demonstrating awareness of impact on an audience
- Select relevant details and examples to develop ideas
- Use appropriate and varied vocabulary, sentence structures and forms of expression
- Write and speak in an appropriate register and style
- Use correct grammar, syntax and punctuation
- Spell, write, and pronounce with accuracy
- Use appropriate non-verbal communication techniques
- Quarter 1: Generations:
- Quarter 2: Turning Points: What can cause a sudden change in someone’s life?
- Quarter 3: People and the Planet: What effects do people have on the environment? In what way are people and animals’ dependent on the planet?
- Quarter 4: Facing Adversity: How do we overcome obstacles? How do individuals overcome challenging environments?