Module 2: Operating with Signed Numbers
In this module, students build on their experiences with signed numbers and absolute value in grade 6. They will use physical motion, number line models, and two-color counters to develop an understanding of the rules for operating with positive and negative numbers. Students will then solve real-world and mathematical problems involving positive and negative rational numbers.
Topic 1: Adding and Subtracting Rational Numbers
- In this topic, students use number lines and two-color counters to model addition and subtraction of integers before developing rules for the sum and difference of signed numbers.
- MATHia Workspaces (4)
- Understanding Opposites
- Adding and Subtracting Negative Integers
- Using Number Lines to Add and Subtract Integers
- Developing Algorithms for Adding or Subtracting Integers
Topic 2: Multiplying and Dividing Rational Numbers
- In this topic, students again use number lines and two-color counters to model the multiplication of integers before developing rules for the product of signed numbers.
- MATHia Workspaces (6)
- Multiplying and Dividing Integers
- Converting Rational Numbers to Decimals
- Evaluating Simple Numeric Expressions with Integers
- Evaluating Numeric Expressions Involving Integers with Parentheses and Exponents
- Evaluating Simple Numeric Expressions with Rational Numbers
- Evaluating Complex Numeric Expressions with Rational Numbers