Incoming 5th grade band information
Welcome to the band info page! We are very excited to meet your student and begin what we hope becomes a long and exciting musical journey. Here are some exciting highlights about our program:
- 160 students enrolled in six band classes in 2018-2019 and growing each year.
- Excellent ratings at the Arizona Band and Orchestra Association Area Concert Festival for 2017 and 2018.
- 2018-2019 marks the first year with our Advanced Wind Ensemble, a 50 student ensemble who plays advanced music.
- Performances with the Mountain Pointe High School Wind Ensemble.
- Middle School night at Mountain Pointe with the MPHS Marching Lionhearts. Students rehearse, have a BBQ together, play music in the stands, watch the game and we have a combined Halftime Performance!
- Combined MPHS and CMS Bands march in the Ahwatukee Easter Parade!
- Many students participate in District honor band, All-State Band and the Tempe Youth Wind Symphony.
- An After School Jazz Band.
- A California tour for advanced band students including workshops and time at Disneyland!
Students who come to Centennial have 11 choices of instruments to begin on:
Oboe (2 maximum, director approval required)
Bassoon (2 maximum, director approval required)
Saxophone (7 maximum, director approval required. Must attend instrument try-out)
Percussion (9 maximum, director approval required. Must attend instrument try-out)
We offer a large instrument try-out night on February 4 from 5:00-7:00pm. We will set up an additional instrument try-out later in the spring depending on attendance. Additionally, please contact me if you wish to set up an individual meeting to test instruments.
ALL INTERESTED SAXOPHONE AND PERCUSSION STUDENTS MUST ATTEND AN INSTRUMENT TRY OUT OR MEETING TO BE CONSIDERED.
Please contact me at IGrzyb@kyrene.org for more information about the band program.