Kyrene School District
Physical Education Curriculum Framework
Statement of purpose and function:
The purpose of the Kyrene School District Physical Education Program is to provide all students with the knowledge, skills, and desire to live a healthful and physically active lifestyle.
- Daily physical activity promotes good health and helps foster a healthy mind.
- Every student can become a competent, confident mover.
- Access to lifetime activities enhances quality of life and promotes a lifetime commitment to daily physical activity.
- Personal responsibility and respect for others are needed to become a contributing member in a global society.
- Students learn best in a positive and challenging environment.
- Students will continue to participate in activities that are fun and enjoyable.
- Physical educators must have knowledge of content, interpersonal and technical skills in order to be effective teachers.
Physical Education State Standards:
Standard 1: Students demonstrate proficiency and the achievement of higher cognitive skills necessary to enhance motor skills.
Standard 2: Students comprehend basic physical activity principles and concepts that enable them to make decisions, solve problems and to become self-directed lifelong learners who are informed physical activity consumers.
Standard 3: Students exhibit a physically active lifestyle
Standard 4: Students achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
Standard 5: Students develop self-initiated behaviors that promote effective personal and social interactions in physical activity settings.
Standard 6: Students demonstrate understanding and respect for differences among people in physical activity settings.
Standard 7: Students develop behavioral skills (self-management skills) essential to maintaining a physically active lifestyle.
A physically educated person is defined as an individual who:
- has learned skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities.
- is physically fit.
- does participate regularly in physical activity.
- knows the implications and the benefits of the involvement in physical activities.