Together with my District leadership team, we began to analyze enrollment trends and achievement data in an effort to identify possible root causes. The analysis resulted in the following conclusions:
- The District experiences inconsistent retention rates across elementary and middle schools.
- Middle school performance is typically lower than elementary school performance.
- There exist inconsistencies in the rigor of middle school general academic programs.
- There does not exist enough opportunity for children to enroll in Pre-Kindergarten options in the District.
- Families are unaware of Kyrene’s comprehensive PreK-8 programs.
Based on these findings, the District leadership team began to develop an action plan to address Kyrene’s PreK-8 programming, Middle School Redesign, and expansion of Pre-Kindergarten programs.Teams which include District and school leadership, have begun to look at these areas and have started researching best practices and developing options to address each of these goals.UPDATE:The District presented its recommendations on the Superintendent's Priorities to the Kyrene Governing Board on December 6. The Board approved moving forward with the expansion of the Kyrene Traditional Academy Sureño Campus to PreK - 8 and with the creation of an International Baccalaureate program at Kyrene Middle School.For more on the Board's action and the status of each of the priorities, click on the links below.
Below is a summary of some of the options being considered.
This is important work with implications for all of us—school leadership, teachers, staff, parents and most of all, students. As we move forward with this process, I want to assure you that our primary focus will be on teaching and learning, and doing what’s best for kids.
Information and updates regarding each of the teams’ proposals will be shared on the District website in the upcoming weeks. We have begun to share this information in meetings with staff, the Parent/Superintendent Council and at parent organization meetings. Community Forums are being held November 9 and 15.It is important for the community to know that we are in the very early stages of initial inquiry, and no final decisions have been made with regard to each of the proposals. You can view updates here:
More information can be found in these presentations:
- Middle School Redesign
- PreK-8 Comprehensive Programs - Dual Language
- PreK-8 Comprehensive Programs - International Baccalaureate (IB)
- PreK-8 Comprehensive Programs - Traditional Academy
- Expansion of Early Childhood Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions