Welcome to our class! My name is Mrs. Pamela Wendt, and I am so very happy to be joining your young scholar in Room 28. I believe in the importance of community, and I know that a child's success depends on the partnership of student, home, and school. At the core of my educational philosophy is the knowledge that every child can learn.
Learning comprises many different experiences, so I do my best to integrate all core subjects, along with high expectations and rigor. Your child will have a busy year as a third grader, with acquisition of important knowledge and essential skills needed for the 21st century. In addition to developing efficacy in English language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science, we will delve into coding, keyboarding, cursive handwriting, collaborative discussions, presentations, STEM challenges, and robotics. We will work hard AND have lots of fun!
My experience as a teacher is as wide and deep as my passion is for education. I started as a Gifted specialist, and over my next 20 years in education taught 2nd, 3rd, 3rd self-contained Gifted, 4th, 5th, 4/5th multi-age, 6th grade advanced mathematics, and Gifted pullout. I have also served as an instructional coach, but my heart always brings me back into the classroom.
I earned my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education from the University of Alaska, and my Master's degree in the Humanities with an emphasis in Literature from California State University. I also hold endorsements in Gifted Education, Mathematics Specialist, English as a Second Language (ESL), Middle Grade Specialist, and Language Arts.
My husband and I have a big, busy family, and our very favorite thing to do is to get everybody together!
Here are a few of my other favorites:
- TV Shows - Detective programs, Jeopardy!, and Hallmark mysteries & romances
- Books - Frindle by Andrew Clements, followed closely by a mile-long list of faves (Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, The Giver by Lois Lowry, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis, and the list goes on...)
- Food - Italian, Mexican, and French (I have a weakness for cheese!)
- Candy - Junior Mints, Raisinets, and Bottle Caps
- Video Games - Tetris and old-school Dr. Mario
- Pastimes - classic radio programs (especially detective shows), yoga, reading, kayaking, home decor, puzzles, fashion, cooking, crafts, movies, music, traveling with my husband, spending time with our family, and volunteering in our community