Safety and Security Front Offices
The safety of our students is our #1 priority
Capital Bond Funding
In 2005 the community passed a capital bond that gave us funding to develop a plan for student safety and security, including the following:
- Portable buildings were removed from all schools.
- Corridors were built so all classrooms that opened to the outside now open into a corridor.
- Fencing at some schools was changed.
- An integrated security system was installed to include intrusion alarms, access control and video surveillance cameras.*
*Funding for the current project is coming from the 2010 capital bond election and will focus on modifying school offices. The goal is to make the offices more secure, but keep them as welcoming to the community as possible. Front offices at 7 schools: Norte, Brisas, Akimel A-al, Mirada, Niños, Lomas and Mañitas were modified in time for the start of the 2014-15 school year. The remaining 18 schools and district office will be completed by the end of Summer 2015. The committee is working with the principal and office staff of each school to customize it for their needs as much as possible while staying within the district standards.
Front Office Modification Project
Frequently Asked Questions
What modifications will be made to front offices?
- Enhanced security for the school office by creating two lobbies – one for students and one for visitors
- Access to the rest of the school through a “buzzable door” controlled by office staff
Why were these changes initiated?
The safety of our students is very important in Kyrene. The Safety and Security Team is responsible for making recommendations on addressing safety and security in our schools and campuses. In addition to modification of front offices, several changes have been implemented to enhance safety including:
- Removal of all portable buildings from school campuses
- Modifying buildings so that all classrooms that opened to the outside now open onto an internal corridor
- Modification of fencing at some schools
- Installation of an integrated security system to include intrusion alarms, access control and video surveillance cameras
The modification of front offices is the most recent of the safety initiatives being implemented in Kyrene.
Which schools will undergo a front office modification?
Front offices at Cerritos, Cielo, Colina, Esperanza, Estrella, KTA, Lagos, Mariposa, Milenio, Monte Vista, Paloma, Sierra, Waggoner, Altadena, Aprende, Centennial, Kyrene Middle School and Pueblo will be modified in time for the start of the 2015-16 school year.
How were the designs developed?
The Safety and Security Team, consulted with the U.S. Homeland Defense Bureau and local law enforcement, and met with the Kyrene Facilities Department and local architects to review the District standards to ensure that the draft project design met our front office needs and layout. They visited schools in other districts and vetted draft designs with school administrators and staff.
The Safety and Security Team is working with the principals and office staff of each school to customize the modifications to fit their needs as much as possible while staying within the district standards. The goal is to make the offices more secure, but keep them as welcoming to the community as possible.
How is Kyrene paying for the modifications?
This is a continuation of a project that began in 2014. Funding for the current project is coming from the 2010 capital bond approved by voters and will focus on modifying school offices. These funds cannot otherwise be used for classroom instruction or supplies.