Kyrene School District PreK - 8 Dual Language Program
Languages are best learned at an early ageThe innovative Dual Language program provides Pre-K-8 students with literacy and content in both English and Spanish. Students benefit both socially and cognitively; develop greater non-verbal problem solving abilities; and more flexible thinking. The elementary and middle schools programs are tuition free.
VisionKyrene Pre-K-8 Dual Language Program is designed to prepare all students to meet educational and life goals in both English and Spanish in order to make positive contributions to a global society.
MissionTo inspire and engage our diverse community in continuous high academic achievement, personal
Learning a second language is a 21st century skill needed for success in our global community. The Kyrene School District Dual Language Program is designed for high academic achievement in all content areas. Our goals include bilingualism, biliteracy, multi-cultural awareness, and global citizenship. Students attain high levels of proficiency in both English and Spanish while learning grade level academic content.
Program Grade Level Proficiency TargetsGrade Level Proficiency Targets for Spanish Dual Language Program
Dual Language students...
- Develop literacy, language and academic achievement in English and Spanish
- Are positive, confident and excited about learning
- Become bilingual at no cost to their English development
- Gain awareness and appreciation for diverse cultures
- Acquire multitasking and metacognitive skills; encourages strategic and flexible thinking
- Self monitor, improve memory, and develop executive function skills
Enrollment RequirementsStudents can be admitted into the Pre-K-8 Dual Language Program by:
- Enrolling in DL Kindergarten or the first nine weeks of DL 1st grade and maintaining that enrollment throughout their K-8 experience, or
- Transferring from another Dual Language Program (documentation needed) or
- Passing the Kyrene Spanish Proficiency Screener.
Kyrene Dual Language Handbook
Please refer to our Dual Language Handbook for additional information.
Please contact the schools directly to schedule a meeting and/or tour.Pre-Kindergarten(For 3-5 years old, not yet in Kindergarten). This Spanish language exploration program for early learners, is tuition-based and offered through Kyrene Community Education at Lagos and Norte.
Elementary K - 5Program Model 50/50: Students spend 50% of their day immersed in Spanish and 50% immersed in English.Middle Schools 6 - 8Program Model 70/30 model: Students take Spanish Language Arts and Social Studies in Spanish.
Opportunities for Dual Language students in the Tempe Union High School DistrictDual Language Students High School Transition Plan
Kyrene School District and Tempe Union High School District have created a transition plan for students who fully participate in Dual Language to be able to enroll in advanced Spanish courses in high school based upon their AAPPL assessment results. In addition, students will have the opportunity to qualify for and receive the Arizona Seal of Biliteracy on their high school diploma.
- Students who demonstrate a level N4 or above in all modes of communication (interpersonal listening/speaking, presentational writing, interpretive reading/listening) are eligible for a “Pass” grade in Spanish 1-2. A “pass” is not calculated into rank or GPA but is shown on the high school transcript.
- Students who demonstrate a level I3 or above in all modes of communication (interpersonal listening/speaking, presentational writing, interpretive reading/listening) are eligible for a “Pass” grade in Spanish 3-4. A “pass” is not calculated into rank or GPA but is shown on the high school transcript.
AAPPL Spanish Test
The following charts show the average scores of Kyrene School District's Dual Language students who took the Spanish AAPPL in the 2018- 2019 School year. The average score is presented for each mode of communication in relation to the national average for all students.
We are so proud of our students!
Congratulations to our 1st graduating class!