Early Entrance for Kindergarten and First GradeThank you for your interest in the Kyrene School District. We offer an early entrance age exception for children if it is determined to be in their best interest.The process for Early Entrance is from January to July for the 2022-23 school year. Screening dates start in April and conclude in July, one week before school starts.
Kindergarten Early Entrance
Children who will turn five between September 1 and December 31 may apply for an age exception to enter kindergarten early. Early entrance will be approved for children who demonstrate exceptional social and emotional maturity, and whose learning needs are advanced. These children should perform similarly in respect to behavior, social, emotional, and academic skills to their older classmates in order to meet the challenges of Kyrene’s kindergarten curriculum. We will admit children early whenever we feel confident that they can be successful during the kindergarten year and move on to first grade with necessary skill, maturity, and confidence.
The Arizona Department of Education has developed academic standards to define the knowledge and skills that students should learn across grades K-12. Click on each subject and navigate to kindergarten to learn more.Families who wish to consider applying for an age exception for their child are required to:
A district office staff member will contact you with a determination for early entrance within one week after the screening. The district office administrator has final approval. There is no appeal process.Families complete the registration process for their child AFTER the child is accepted for early entrance to kindergarten.
- Submit a kindergarten interest form.
- View the recorded family meeting. Be sure to write down the "Meeting Code" from the presentation while you are viewing it - you will need it for the next step. The recording will be available from January 11, 2022 until July 14, 2022.
- Complete a family meeting attendance form. Use the "Meeting Code" from the previous step to complete this form.
- Complete an early entrance to kindergarten application. The application will be provided to you by email and you will turn in the application at your child's screening.
- Have your child participate in a screening. You will be provided a Sign-Up Genius link by email to sign up for a screening appointment.
First Grade Early EntranceFor admission to first grade, we recommend that children be six years old before September 1 of the current school year. Children who are born between September 1 and December 31 may apply for an age exception for early entrance to first grade. This applies to any child that falls within this age range and who has attended Kindergarten in another district, private school, charter school, or in another state/county. NOTE: If the child previously enrolled and attended Kindergarten within Kyrene for the complete school year, a screening is not needed for first grade.Procedures are as follows:
- Submit a first grade interest form.
- Have your child participate in a first grade screening. A district office staff member will contact you to set up a screening appointment.
A district office staff member will contact you with a determination for early entrance within one week after the screening. The district office administrator has final approval. There is no appeal process.
Families complete the registration process for their child AFTER the child is accepted for early entrance to first grade.
We look forward to providing your children with an outstanding education.
If you have any questions, please call the Department of Teaching and Learning at (480) 541-1251.
Preschool Program OptionsIf early entrance is not the right option for your child, please consider Kyrene’s Preschool options.