2021-22 School YearThank you your interest in the Kyrene School District. We offer a kindergarten early entrance age exception for children if it is determined to be in their best interest.The process for Early Entrance is from November to July for the next school year. Family meetings begin in November. Screening dates commence in April and conclude on July 21, one week before school starts.
Kindergarten Early Entrance
Children who turn five between September 1 and December 31 may apply for an age exception to enter kindergarten early. Early entrance will be approved for students who demonstrate exceptional social and emotional maturity, and whose learning needs are advanced. These students should perform similarly in respect to behavior, social, emotional, and academic skills to their older classmates in order to meet the challenges of Kyrene’s kindergarten curriculum. We will admit students early whenever we feel confident that they can be successful during the kindergarten year and move on to first grade with necessary skill, maturity, and confidence.Parents who wish to consider applying for an age exception for their child are required to:
Upon completion of these requirements, a District Office staff member will notify the parent(s) of the decision to accept an age exception into kindergarten within two weeks after the screening. The district office administrator has final approval. There is no appeal process. Families will complete the registration process for their child AFTER the child is accepted for early entrance to kindergarten.
- Submit a kindergarten interest form.
- View the recorded family meeting and complete a family meeting attendance form. The recorded presentation is being used this year in lieu of in-person family meetings. The recording will be available until July 16, 2021.
- Complete an admissions application. The admissions application will be provided to you by email and you turn in the admissions application at your child's screening.
- Have your child participate in a screening. You will be provided a Sign-Up Genius link by email to sign up for a screening appointment.
First Grade Early EntranceFor admission to first grade, we recommend that children be six years old before September 1 of the current school year. Children who are born between September 1 and December 31 may apply for an age exception. This applies to any child that falls within this age range and who has attended Kindergarten in another district, private school, charter school, or in another state/county. NOTE: If the child previously enrolled and attended Early Entrance into Kindergarten within Kyrene for the complete 2020-21 school year, a screening is not needed for first grade.Procedures are as follows:
- Submit a first grade interest form.
- Make an appointment for your child to be screened. You will be provided a Sign-Up Genius link by email to sign up for a screening appointment after you have completed the interest form. Screenings begin at the end of April for the next school year.
- Have your child participate in a first grade screening.
A district office staff member will contact you with a final decision within two weeks after screening. The district office administrator has final approval. There is no appeal process. Families will complete the registration process for their child AFTER the child is accepted for early entrance to first grade.
We look forward to providing your child(ren) with an outstanding education.
If you have any questions, please call the Department of Teaching and Learning at (480) 541-1251.
Preschool Program OptionsIf early entrance is not the right option for your child, please consider Kyrene’s Preschool options.