Preparing for the First Day
Preschool (Three to Five-Year-Olds, not yet in Kindergarten)
Provide the following items, labeled with your child’s first and last name:
- Napping Materials: sheet (crib-size fitted), blanket and small pillow (optional)*
- Change of clothing in a labeled bag. Please include socks and underwear.
- Jackets, sweaters, hats, etc.
- Sunscreen (You may also apply sunscreen to your child before dropping him/her off)
- Water Bottle
- Children participating in the Early Learning Academy at KTA will adhere to the school uniform policy.
- Lunch and Breakfast (if applicable) or money to purchase a school lunch/breakfast.** You may also manage an online lunch account (you will need to obtain an ID number for your student from your site Coordinator)
*Each Friday, please take your child’s blanket and sheet home, launder it, and return it on Monday.
**Please place money in an envelope or baggie labeled with your child’s first and last name or you may manage lunch funds online with a lunch account (you will need to obtain an ID number for your student from your site Coordinator)
Per Department of Health Services' regulations, you must sign your child in (at arrival) and out (at pick up) each day. Children may not be dropped off prior to the program start time and must be picked up by the program end time. Be prepared to show a valid form of picture identification when picking up children. More details about site specific pick up and drop off procedures will be provided in your program Welcome Letter.
Snacks are provided twice per day to children registered for full-day Preschool programs, and once per day for children attending half days. Breakfast and lunches are available for purchase purchased through the school cafeteria or you may provide a non-perishable breakfast and lunch. Unfortunately, refrigerators and microwaves are not available.
Teachers will provide their email address as well as the classroom phone number. We ask that parents report student absences directly with their teacher.Our Classrooms will also have a parent information board in the classroom that will have information such as lesson/activity plans, snack menu, and emergency procedures.
Preparing for Success
To help aid your child in a successful day please keep in mind the following:
- Join your Coordinator for the Meet the Teacher event the week prior to the start of school. Not starting with the school year? Set up a time to meet the Coordinator and explore the classroom before the first day.
- Simple clothing allows your child to be free and relaxed. Clothing that allows a child to dress and undress themselves without assistance. Children participating in the Early Learning Academy at KTA will adhere to the school uniform policy.
- Shoes with soft soles should be worn to enable children to effectively participate in activities that develop coordination.
- Our classrooms are well equipped with learning materials needed each day. Please keep personal belongings such as toys, stuffed animals and electronics at home.
- Review the behavior guidelines.
- They must demonstrate self-sufficient toileting skills:
- Recognizing when they need to use the restroom.
- Removing any necessary clothing. (unbuttoning, unzipping, etc.)
- Getting on and off the toilet and maintaining balance.
- Cleaning themselves when done.
- Redressing themselves.
- Washing their hands with soap and water.
- Get ready to say good-bye, and prepare for tears. This is nothing new for our staff and they are prepared to help make the transition easier everyday. You can help by talking to your child in advance and getting them excited to go to school.