Kyrene Gifted Education
Because we believe that a gifted students’ potential requires differentiated instruction, we have developed strategies to provide instruction, integrated throughout the school day. Key features of gifted services in Kyrene include:
Which schools provide gifted services?
- Continuum of services across K-8 aligned with National Association of Gifted Children (NAGC) standards
- Gifted Certified teacher at every elementary school consulting and planning regularly with classroom teachers
- Gifted Certified Mentor teacher at every middle school advising and consulting with team teachers regularly
- Digital learning to support differentiation
- High expectations for all gifted learners as evidenced in relevant and challenging activities
- Ongoing use of multiple alternative approaches to accelerated learning
- Before and after school enrichment activities such as: Chess clubs, Robotics, Odyssey of the Mind, and more.
All Kyrene schools offer gifted services to address the natural abilities of students that require differentiated instructional programming throughout the school day. Services provide interaction with other gifted learners, accelerated pacing in core classes and are designed to enhance critical thinking, creativity and problem solving.How is “gifted” determined?A “gifted student” is a child who performs or shows the potential of performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment, and is defined as those students who score at or above the 97th percentile on a test (approved by the Arizona State Board of Education) for gifted identification. Children may qualify in one or more of three areas:
- verbal reasoning
- quantitative (math) reasoning, and
- non-verbal reasoning
This means that a student scored in the top 3% of their same age peers, according to national norms.Referrals for gifted testing, for children from kindergarten through eighth grade, come from teachers, parents, and students. Kyrene makes group testing available for students throughout the year (space at these testing opportunities is limited) and students may only test once during each calendar year.
Once referred, a parent must complete an online application.
How are these services delivered?
See one page summary of gifted services by grade level.
Where do I go if I have questions regarding gifted services for my child?
The gifted teacher at your child’s school is able to answer questions regarding gifted services. You may also contact the District’s Gifted Coordinator at 480-541-1282.Additional Information