Kyrene Gifted Education
We believe that a gifted student's potential requires differentiated instruction. To this end, we have developed strategies to provide instruction integrated throughout the school day. Key features of gifted services in Kyrene include:
- Continuum of services across K-8 aligned with National Association of Gifted Children (NAGC) standards
- Gifted certified teacher at every elementary school providing resource services and consulting with classroom teachers
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) facilitators at every middle school teaching GATE courses, developing GATE curriculum, and providing professional development for GATE teachers
- High expectations for all gifted learners as evidenced in relevant and challenging activities that enhance critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving
- Ongoing use of multiple approaches to accelerate and extend learning
Which schools provide gifted services? All Kyrene schools offer gifted services to address the natural abilities of students that require differentiated instructional programming throughout the school day.
How are these services delivered? See one page summary of gifted services.
How is “gifted” determined? A “gifted student” is a child who performs or shows the potential of performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment. This is defined as students who score at or above the 97th percentile on a test (approved by the Arizona State Board of Education) for gifted identification. This means that a student scored in the top 3% of their same age peers, according to national norms. Children may qualify in one or more of three areas:
- verbal reasoning
- quantitative (math) reasoning, and
- non-verbal reasoning
Referrals for gifted testing for children from kindergarten through eighth grade come from teachers, parents, and students. Kyrene makes group testing available for students at their school site three times per year. The test is proctored at your child’s school site during the school day. Non-identified students may only test once each school year and up to three times total in grades K through 8.
Once referred, a parent must complete an online application. Detailed information about gifted testing is provided HERE.
Where do I go if I have questions regarding gifted services for my child? The gifted teacher or GATE teacher at your child’s school is able to answer questions regarding gifted services. You may also contact the Kyrene Gifted Coordinator at 480-541-1282.
Are there special events focused on gifted education? There will be four gifted family nights during the 2018-19 school year. Specific information for each session will be sent out the month before the event.
- Instructional Strategies in the Gifted/GATE Classroom - February 19, 2019 - 6:30 to 7:30 pm