|Arts integration is an approach to teaching in which students construct and demonstrate understanding through an art form. Students engage in a creative process which connects an art form and another subject area and meets evolving objectives in both. The arts are essential to providing students with the means to think, feel, and understand the world around them. Students learn there are multiple ways to understand math, science and reading. These are skills for lifetime success!|
Here are some of the top reasons for arts integration:
- Arts education time equates to as much as 20% increase in test scores, and even higher in at risk schools.
- The arts teach children that problems can have more than one solution.
- The arts celebrate multiple perspectives.
- The arts develop skills and habits of mind that are important for workers in the new economy. -Alan Greenspan
- Creative industries added jobs at an 8% rate between 2001-2010, which is higher than any other industry.
- Students gain executive functioning, civic-engagement and collaboration skills.
- Nobel Laureates are 17 times more likely to be actively engaged in the arts.
- When students engage in creating and designing, they are functioning at the highest depth of knowledge.
- The arts help children learn to say what cannot be said.
- The arts enable us to have experience we can have from no other source.