Bus Stop Change Requests
Bus Stop Location Guidelines
In developing student bus stop locations a number of factors are considered:
We route school buses in the most efficient manner consistent with Minimum Standards for School Buses, School Bus Drivers and School Board Guidelines regarding establishment of safe school bus stops.
Realizing there are conflicting issues involved with school bus stop locations, the factors utilized in establishing a new stop or reviewing a current location involve:
1. Examining potential safety issues at the waiting/loading zone.
2. Student access to the bus stop.
3. Visibility at the stop location for passing motorists.
4. Maintaining State mandated that stops be no less than 600 feet apart, unless the school determines that more frequent stops are necessary for safety.
5. Due to the danger inherent in the backing of school buses, bus routes and stop location will be established to preclude the necessity of having buses back up.
6. Routes are designed to avoid bus travel into cul-de-sacs, dead ends or dirt roads.
Kyrene Transportation has the responsibility to develop all bus routes based on guidelines established by Arizona Department of Administration Minimum Standards for School Buses and School Bus Drivers. Changes will only be made following review and approval by the Transportation Supervisor. School Bus Drivers are not permitted to change stop locations. Drivers who stop at locations other than those established by Kyrene are in violation of Transportation policy. This violation subjects the driver to department disciplinary action.
Procedure for Requesting Stop Location Change
Complete a Bus Stop Change Form Request in its entirety indicating the requested stop location, and the reason for the request.
Completed form must be submitted to the Transportation Department:
Fax to: 480-541-1819
Email to: Transportation@kyrene.org
Mail to Kyrene Transportation Department, 8700 South Kyrene Road, Tempe, AZ 85284
Upon receiving the form, the Transportation Department will review the request using the above mentioned criteria and respond in a timely manner.