K-8 Dual Language Program
Languages are best learned at an early age
The innovative Dual Language program provides K-8 students with literacy and content in both English and Spanish. Students benefit both socially and cognitively; develop greater non-verbal problem solving abilities; and more flexible thinking. The elementary and middle schools programs are tuition free. Parent information meetings are listed below.
Program GoalsProvide students an opportunity to reach a high level of proficiency in a second language by the time they graduate from high school. This level of language proficiency is a 21st century skill that allows students be successful in our global community.
Dual language students:
- Develop literacy, language and academic achievement
in English and Spanish
- Are positive, confident and excited about learning
- Become bilingual at no cost to their English development
- Gain awareness and appreciation for diverse cultures
- Acquire multitasking and metacognitive skills; encourages
strategic thinking and problem solving
Enrollment RequirementsElementary: Native Spanish speakers must take the Arizona English Language Learner Assessment (AZELLA). Middle School: New
students must take a Spanish Language Proficiency test to demonstrate
their level of proficiency in order to enter the program.
» How to enroll in our programs
(For 3-5 years old, not yet in Kindergarten)
. This Spanish language exploration program for early learners,
is tuition-based and offered through Kyrene Kids Club at Lagos and Norte. Bienvenidos Dual Language
Elementary School Model
• 50/50 model: Students spend 50% of their day immersed in Spanish and 50% immersed in English
*A grade level will be added every year (K-5 by 2019-20)
Middle School Model
• Students spend 100 minutes a day immersed in Spanish.
• 6th grade takes a Spanish class and Social Studies in Spanish
• Students earn high school foreign language credits
• Explicit instruction for Spanish writing, grammar and oral language development.
*A grade level will be added every year (6-8 by 2018-19)
Parent Information MeetingsMeeting Schedule